Sunday, November 23, 2008

Gratitude for Many Things


This week is Thanksgiving, also known as "Black Friday Eve." The poor holiday gets no respect. The very moment the lights have gone out on our jack-o-lanterns and our children have gorged themselves on their last piece of candy, the retail industry begins flooding the airwaves with Christmas themed commercials in an attempt to cash in on the festivity of the 25th of December. Although Christmas is certainly a bigger deal than Thanksgiving, it has easily overshadowed it.

Thanksgiving is a great time of year to reflect on the blessings we have received, and even though we have a four-day weekend in the works that we all look forward to, this is a significant day to be grateful. In that spirit, I am going to take the time to express gratitude for many things we have received as family in the last year.

Definitely the highlight of all blessings we have received this year is the increase in size to our family. Bryce has been such a sweet addition to our family. He has come a long way from being in the infant ICU at Lutheran Hospital to the large and in charge 5 month-old living in our home today. He is so even tempered, easily pleased and has the cutest laugh. I can't rave enough about the joy of fatherhood, and it gets even better with every new addition to our family. Like many of you who read this, having more children can always be a challenge, but the joy of having kids and the opportunity to be selfless and considerate that being a parent forces you to be is such a blessing. If you don't have children and are capable, please don't be afraid of it. It will bless you in many ways and teach you true joy and happiness.

I am also thankful for financial success. I don't mean to dive too deeply into this, but I am grateful that my parents taught me the value and blessings available to those who pay a full tithe and are generous in our offerings. I took the advice of a former bishop and decided this year to double my fast offering contributions. We have been blessed with funds that would have never would have come our way had we not decided to be generous in this regard.

I am grateful despite economic turmoil, our family is fed, we have a roof over our head that we aren't losing anytime soon, and we have reliable transportation. I heard a quote one time that said, "I complained that I had no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet."

My plan is, and with any luck, to add to this list throughout the week.

1 comment:

Jami said...

I love that quote! I'm going to talk to Matt about the Fast Offering goal... I'd like to make that our goal next year. Thanks for the idea! Happy Black Friday Eve! (ha ha jk)