Tuesday, November 25, 2008

More to be Grateful for


In my attempt to be grateful via the blogosphere, I would like to take the time to express my gratitude to my wife. Aside from being very beautiful in every sense of the word, she has endured a lot with me. I know I frustrate her on a consistent basis, and perhaps another woman would have given up long ago, but I am grateful for her patience and unconditional love toward me.

Marriage is a funny thing. I have had friends over the years who have been to afraid to take the plunge when opportunity presents itself. Reasons for doing so usually are one of the following. They are either (a) concerned the person they are with isn't "the one" or (b) are stuck in an existing relationship and are too afraid to end it. For those who are unsure about whether they have met the right person, take this into account. Do you like being around her/him, is she/he living a good life and what kind of mother/father will she/he be? There is no way to look into a crystal ball and determine whether the person you have married or will marry is the right one. If you are waiting for a sign from the Heavens, it likely won't happen either. Sometimes (this is how it was for me), you have to take a leap of faith. I knew Heather for years prior, but only as an acquaintance. From the time we went on our first date, to the time we decided to get married it was about 2 weeks. We hardly knew each other, but we knew we were doing the right thing. Not because we could see our lives 5-10-20 years forward, but because we both acted on a spiritual impression. The only way something like that will work is through faith. I am thankful Heather had the faith in me to entrust her life to me.

To the other folks who are just drifting along and not happy in a relationship, you can always end it and move on. If you want to find the right person to spend your life with, be the type of person you would want to marry. That can work for good or bad. Once again, you need to have faith and trust that things will happen as they should. The only thing you can change about your situation is YOU. Work on yourself. You will find a capacity for growth and development for the better that will stay with you for your life and beyond. You will crave it like your favorite dish.

I know I went on a bit of a tangent, but I am attempting to make a point here. Had I not had the faith in the unknown over 7 years ago and get married to Heather, I never would have known so much joy. I am grateful for following on an impression and staying committed to that impression. My life has been blessed in so many ways because of my close relationship with my wife. I have learned so many things about myself, and helped me gain a capacity for compassion for others. Adding children to the equation has expounded on that too. I'm a better man because of her, and I hope that she is a better woman because of me. That's what marriage to the right person does for you.